|A twelve year-old girl living at a rock commune near Austin, Texas in the summer of 1975 observes the rise and fall of the Akard Drearstone Group as she falls disastrously in love with the group’s severely disturbed bass player.
Published by Sortmind Press
Jan Pace, a twelve-year-old girl at the Akard Drearstone commune north of Austin, Texas, watches Akard Drearstone and his fellow musicians setting up for what they think will be a small concert on their dirt parking lot. Jan, who knows she’s in love with the twenty-seven-year-old bass guitarist Jim Piston, tries to comfort him while he freaks on marijuana. Meanwhile, to everyone’s shock, thousands of Akard Drearstone Group fans have invaded the parking lot and the vast fields beyond.
During a break, the musicians discover that Dallas businessmen have bought Freeway Accident Records along with the Drearstone Group’s manager, Harray Andreall, onetime member of the commune. Commune member Bill Dunn is invited to play guitar on “Overturned Runway,” but narcs raid the concert and kidnap him.
At the Overturned Runway Bar, named in honor of their song, the musicians begin to realize how famous they’re becoming. Michelle Morgan, journalist and fiancée of Harray Andreall, explains the principles of her new philosophy, Exponentialism. Declaring bassist Piston to be the core genius of the group, Michelle interviews him for Worthless Weekend Sunday Magazine and seduces him during the interview.
Harray and Michelle fight about Buddhism on their wedding night. En route to the reception at the commune, Harray plunges into metaphysical horror. To soothe him, Jan takes him to see her horse at the barn–but there they discover a dead body packed in ice.
Though he tries to convince the sullen members of the group that their musical experiment is worth continuing, Harray’s boss has been arrested on murder charges, the record company is on the verge of collapse, and Harray is dumbfounded to discover a second killing perpetuated by a second band he manages.
- A Free Commune Concert
- Katrina Regan Journa
- Regarding the Cinder Block Incident
- Let’s Get Some Alpha Waves Going
- The Anti-Forest
- The Beer King
- Gathering Insanity
- A Big Gray Monster Benignly Surveys the Approaching Carnage
- Is That Your Animal?
- Overturned Runway
- Isn’t She Great?
- Possibly Underground Tunnel in the Air?
- Jimmy Blackmere
- The Psychobeauty
- The Group Discusses His Death
- Genius and Metaphysical Horror
- His Advice on Dope and Women
- Flowing in All Directions, or, Which is My True Self?
- The Two Percent
- Out the Window
- Dostoyevsky Commune
- The Wizard Dyson Annersnex
- Welcome to the Commune
- Masturbation in Denmark
- Bleemblo Motorcycle Repair
- The Waterfall of Creation
- First Scene of the Videotape
- Blood Tunnels
- Jim Screws Up a Take
- Can’t You Take a Joke?
- The Buried Dream
- Katy, Don’t Show That to Anyone
- The Exponential Imperative
- The Bishops
- A Map of this Entire Sector of the Universe
- I Never Realized Weeds Were So Beautiful
- The Anti-Jim Piston Conspiracy
- A Full Description of the Insanity of the Underground Tunnel in the Air Concert on Saturday, August 30, 1975
- Demented BS at Lunch
- I Find a Bowl
- I Pay Homage to the Concept of Pete Sponge
- The Musicians Crap Around
- A, B, C, D, E
- My Astral Projection
- The Air Conditioner
- The Failure of Akard Drearstone
- Day One: Harris County Courthouse
- Interlude: Investigations Later That Night
- Day Two: A, B, C, D, E
- Day Three: Jim Piston’s Day Before the Lord
- Akard Drearstone
- Death of a Motorcycle
- How We Lost Track of Our Friend
- Across the Commune
- At the Fence
- Drearstone Corporation
All words and images copyright by Michael D. Smith